Watch this video about gold claims
Question: What is a gold claim?(Am I legally able to prospect?)
Answer: It’s real property, as in real estate.
Real estate is “property consisting of land and the buildings on it, along with its natural resources such as crops, minerals or water; immovable property of this nature” – Wikipedia
A gold site that is producing gold is real, valuable property. A gold claims documented gold producing potential gives it real market value. The rules and rights around trading and accessing claims can vary though.
Things to keep your eyes out for when considering gold claims are:
- Individual state and federal regulations
- County regulations – for example a zoning rule
- Specific rights and obligations for gold sites and claims
- Taxes and fees for all of the above
- Restrictions on types of mining and equipment that can be used
For example, dredging in California is not allowed at this time. As a claim owner, you have to keep up to date on current events and know what your rights are.
If you accessing a claim you must consider all of the above and get the claim owner’s permission in writing! That way you are covered when you start prospecting for gold on that claim site.
As always, good prospecting!